Because of the deep expertise and experience we have in our Mentor and Governance Board and our Mentor Network in deep tech innovation space we have taken on the responsibility to create a strong result oriented focused approach towards deep tech innovation lead research and creation of new technology which will support deep tech based solutioning globally viable enterprises.
A little bit on our focus and approach:
TotalStart has initiated the facilitation of the first Deep Tech Innovation & Incubation Networked Center Initiative to catalyse, curate and incubate deep tech innovation in India focusing on Artificial Intelligence, IOT, Business Intelligence and other non Information Technology areas. Discussions have been kick-started with several state Governments in India for support. This will be the first and one of a kind initiative in the country where there will be strong cross country collaboration between Germany, Israel, Canada, US and for sure within India both across Research Institutions and Industries to develop Collaborative Solution using deep technology directly applicable for the industry, having strong commercial viability, value and scalability. VCs and deep pocketed Tech HNIs have also been lined up to support. We are reaching out to some of our networked friends who we believe, believes in excellence and would like to support the pursuance of it. We strongly believe in getting national and global level support and already seeing early signs for it in our endeavour to create a world class Deep Tech Networked Collaborative Incubation Program in India with cross industry and cross top Indian and global research collaboration to bring in excellence to our world of creating deep innovation led technology solutions resolving real world gaps or probing into new areas to resolve problems which lies in the future. We are also closely working out with DIPP, MEITY, DST and Niti Aayog, Govt. Of India on this.
The minutes of the first and significant meeting held of the Core Catalysing Committee for this Initiative is given below:
1st. Meeting Held: 16th June 2017
- Dr Srinivasan Padmanabhuni, Director – Tarah AI; Ex President ACM India; Charter Member, TiE Delhi
- Rakesh Pandey, Director – Oracle; India
- Dr. Suryanil Ghosh, Chairman, TotalStart; Charter Member, TiE Delhi
- Dipankar Chakrabarti, Executive Director – PWC
- Deepak Daftari, Director – E-Siksha; Charter Member, TiE Kolkata
- The Core Committee of this Deep Tech Innovation Initiative is initially comprised of 5 members whose names are mentioned above
- Srinivas was requested to Chair the Initiative and Rakesh to Co-Chair. Suryanil will act as the General Convenor. In absentia Dipankar was requested to take on the mantle of Industry Engagement Convenor and Deepak VC Fund and Startup Ecosystem Engagement Convenor
- This initiative is taken up under TotalStart’s Deep Tech Innovation and Incubation Networked Centers Program
- The purpose of this initiative is to continuously and consistently support the catalysis of research based deep technology innovation lead incubation of solutions solving critical problems of industry or society and which can be developed at an industry level, commercialized and funded for sustainable and profitable growth
- This initiative will focus on catalysing research based fundable projects which are ready or close to ready to be brought out to the industry, from public research organizations, academic institutions, R&D Labs and private research & academic institutions in India with appropriate global collaboration as and when required, with appropriate industry, VC, government or private funding
- 4 to 5 focus areas for curating these projects will be decided upon with some more exploration, but the areas which at present interests us are: Deep Learning, India Stack for Open Source Platform, Alternate Energy, Medical Technology, and others could be chosen based on our exploration
- Srinivas had agreed to engage with IISc, IIIT Bangalore and IIT Chennai, IIIT Hyderabad, Bangalore based Government R&D Labs in Bangalore to nominate research groups or individuals who we can co-opt for our initiative, Rakesh will do the same for North India specifically NCR area and Suryanil for Eastern India. We have to include someone in this group based in Mumbai who can cover Western India
- For the launch event on 25th or 27th. of Nov from 11 am to 6 pm at Kolkata, all core committee members will propose names who can be called for to participate in the brainstorming session which is going to be the launch of this initiative. Srinivas had suggested certain names and so did Suryanil. Request all core committee members to share them with names and background
- The venue as has been suggested by Dipankar could be CII Neotia Centre in Salt Lake Kolkata
- Approximate budget for this single event could be around Rs 2 lakhs with maximum participants to be 50, where this event will be carried out in a summit – workshop mode with special invitations mostly and some public participation post approval of the core committee
- As this is not an event but a continuous program, our aim is to raise sponsorship and funding as much as possible to carry out this program on a consistent and continuous basis over the next 3 years and then revisit and evaluate the outcome for the next phase
- We may need to induct in more expert committee members to lead our initiatives wrt the varied specific technology domains we chose and an Advisory and Governance Body (AGB) to be formed over the Core Catalysing Committee comprising of Directors (or appropriate equivalent persons) of all interested IITs, NITs, Universities, Research Institutions both Government and Private to support and guide this Initiative, chaired by an elected Chair from the AGB.
- Engaging with the Institutional Heads of top Academic, Research and Development Institutions and organisations, Industry Stake holders and VCs and select Govt. Depts. both at state level and nationally in India to take part in this Initiative
- Formation of the Advisory and Governance Board for the Initiative from the Stake holders as engaged above
- Getting a senior representative from each stakeholding organizations engaging in this program as a part of the Core or extented Catalysing Committee
- Curating select innovation based projects being carried out at the participating organizations to become the first batch of incubated solutions from this Initiative and have them present at the launch event to expert domain members and Investors for possible investment (A visit to the individual institutes or organizations may be required for this).
- Confirm participation of the representing Core Committe Members from the participating organizations to the launch event for the brainstorming session.
- Post the launch event, carry out quarterly 2 days intensive workshops at participating organizations on a rotation basis where individual researchers and developers can present their ongoing research or developed work to all participants internally or externally.
- A database will be created, maintained and managed for all presented and curated deep tech R&D solutions and regular inputs and guidance will be provided to the deep tech R&D teams by the global expert and investment committee formed, towards commercialization and possible path of investment towards scaling.
- Every year one Annual Event for the final curated deep tech solution Investment will be organized along with a brainstorming session.